This page contains links to resources and references related to process improvement and change management in healthcare. Links and commentary on related topics can also be found on my blog.
If you would like to discuss any of these issues or share links to other resources please feel free to leave a reply below.
- Improving patient access at a movement disorder clinic by participating in a Process Improvement Program. Goodridge A, Woodhouse D, Barbour J. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports. 2013.
- Cycle Time: The New Wait Time. Douglas Woodhouse. HealthyDebate.ca.2013.
- Same-Day Appointments: Exploding the Access Paradigm. Murray M, Tantau C. Fam Pract Manag. 2000.
- Implementing Open-Access Scheduling in an Academic Practice. Steinbauer JR, Korell K, Erdin J, et.al. Fam Pract Manag. 2006.
- A Call to Eliminate Wait Times. Douglas Woodhouse. Healthy Debate 2013.
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement. Eliyahu Goldratt
- The Innovator’s Prescription: a disruptive solution for health care. Clayton M. Christensen, Jerome H. Grossman, Jason Hwang. McGraw-Hill (2008). Read my book review here…
- The Lean Six Sigma Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to 100 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed. Michael L. George
Dr. Don Berwick speaks eloquently and powerfully about healthcare quality and safety. Dr. Berwick served as CEO of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement for many years, and more recently played an important role as Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in the US. Several of his speeches are linked below.
The New Yorker and The Atlantic provide a forum for some excellent commentaries on health systems. Although the examples are American, most of the concepts, challenges and potential solutions are relevant to other health systems.
- The Checklist. Atul Gawande. The New Yorker.
- Can Hospital Chains Improve the Medical Industry. Atul Gawande. The New Yorker
- Hospice medical care for dying patients. Atul Gawande. The New Yorker
- How American Health Care Killed My Father. David Goldhill. The Atlantic
- Virginia Mason Medical Center. Bohmer R, Ferlins E. Harvard Business School, 2008.
- Best Care at Lower Cost: The Path to Continuously Learning Health Care in America. Institute of Medicine. Released September 6, 2012.
- Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2001.
- To err is human: building a safer health system. Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1999.